To start, I created a new font by hand then scanned it in and incorporated it into the artist name and album title.
For the background image, I used a mix of distressed looking Photoshop brushes.
For the inlay (or back cover), I made another font by hand as it provides more of a crafted feel to the artwork than a computer font could.
I created the moon in the upper left and kept its colors consistent with the rest of the packaging. I also resized the text from the front cover and rotated it for the spine of the inlay.
Here I created characters that matched the somber tone of the album and then arranged them across the disc label.
I again kept the typography consistent with the rest of the packaging.
To see the full layout click here.